Tracey’s Infamous Salsa Recipe
It’s Almost spring (or so I am hoping!) To celebrate I am going to share with you my salsa recipe so that you can enjoy fresh tomatoes too (canned or jarred salsa uses cooked tomatoes, and personally I like the fresh stuff better). This salsa recipe is highly requested by my friends… when it just starts to feel like spring, they start asking when I am going to make it. The truth is this recipe is very easy, and quick! Once you make homemade salsa – you just might want to ditch the store bought type for good. Hope you enjoy it!
To make salsa – you an either use a food processor, or hand chop all the ingredients. I personally prefer using a food processor (as the pieces are a smaller), but I have a friend who hand chops her salsa – and I love that too! It’s really personal preference! Try it both ways and see what you like best!
You can serve salsa in lots of different ways. I love to combine this salsa with the hint of lime tortilla chips (that hint of lime just gives it a boost!). You can also use it as a condiment on tacos, quesadillas, burger, or one of my favorites – a topping on eggs. It works well as a fresh ingredient in some dishes like homemade veggie burgers – it adds moisture and a nice punch of flavor! I’m sure you’ll find lots of additional ways to use this versatile item – and if you do, please share in the comments.
Tracey's Super Simple Homemade Salsa
- 1/2 onion I like red onion
- 2 T fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno pepper depends on size of jalapeno - adding seeds and veins of the pepper will make it hotter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 plum tomatoes seeded
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- In food processor add onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and salt - pulse to chop (or chop by hand into small pieces)
- Prepare tomatoes and add to food processor - pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency (make sure not to over process or it will be frothy) - or chop by hand
- Put salsa in a bowl, squeeze lime juice over it - then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving
*Originally Published 2016
*Updated March 2019